Over 170 million people use social media on a regular basis around the world.
Every professional in the workforce is expected to understand at least the fundamental principles of digital marketing.
Digital marketing can be defined as the process of promoting goods via the internet or other electronic media.
The Digital Marketing Institute claims that “The use of digital channels to advertise or market goods and services to specific customers and businesses is known as “digital marketing.”
The State of Digital Marketing in The Current Environment
The existence of a huge and diverse digital audience nowadays shapes digital marketing. According to studies
- There are now more than 4 billion internet users globally (as of 2018).
- There are around 3.2 billion social media users globally as of 2018.
- Around 5.14 billion people use mobile phones worldwide as of 2018.
Each of these figures shows a noticeable increase in users from prior years.
The Revolution of Digital Marketing
- The 90s
Early in the 1990s, Archie, the first search engine, made its debut, kicking off the search age. Quickly after came SEO, or search engine optimization.
In 1994, the first clickable online banners were released. With 3.5 million users upon launch, the first recognizable social networking platform was founded in 1997.
Many websites that are still in use today were discovered in the 1990s, including Google and Yahoo’s web searches, both of which debuted in 1998.
- The Millennial Generation
In the new millennium, a massive economic bubble emerged. However, many businesses suffered damage as the bubble peaked and broke between 2000 and 2002.
As the economy recovered from the boom, many new websites were developed in the 2000s, including the earliest version of LinkedIn in 2002.
Facebook debuted in 2004, and Myspace and WordPress in 2003. Mobile text message marketing grew in popularity in the early 2000s.
- The Age of Mobile:
Increased marketing and sales were seen in the second half of the decade, with Amazon’s e-commerce sales reaching $10 billion.
With the advent of WhatsApp, Instagram, and Snapchat to the online community during the following few years, mobile app culture grew.
- The Present
A person now spends 65% of their time using digital media on a mobile device.
Currently, the $200 billion digital advertising market is dominated by Google Ad Words, which generates 96% of the company’s online income.
The digital marketing revolution has been led by social networking, which has an estimated 3.1 billion internet users.
Influencers currently represent a $1 billion industry, and it is expected to continue to expand as a result of the growth of blogs and Instagram.
In the upcoming years, it is anticipated that the exciting field of digital marketing will expand and undergo numerous new advancements.
The Four Ds of Digital Marketing: What Are They?
The following are the five D’s of digital marketing:
- Digital Devices: People utilize digital gadgets on a nearly daily basis. These can be used, for instance, to market to a certain demographic using computers and mobile devices.
- Digital content: Users frequently communicate with these platforms. They can be employed for advertising. As an illustration, think about social media.
- Digital media: You can employ owned or paid digital media platforms to connect with your target market. They consist of things like social media marketing and online advertising.
- Digital Data: Digital data is information about your target market that is utilized to further a marketing objective. Generally, you may get information about your target audience via applications, polls, and other tools.
Opportunities in Tomorrow’s Digital Marketing Workforce
The professional landscape is evolving along with the digital one.
Future marketers must enroll in the digital marketing course in Bangladesh and get the necessary skills to work in any variety of existing or future marketing positions. Several are:
- Visual artist Copywriter
- Manager of social media
- Communications expert
- Study analyst
- Manager of an advertising account
- Manager of public relations
- Media consumer
- The planner of strategic accounts
Over the past 30 years, digital marketing has undergone a lot of changes.
As learning from the past is the best method for going forward in any sector, it is crucial for digital marketers to stay current with the most recent trends while also incorporating them.
This is why understanding the evolution of digital marketing is critical, as it can help us identify the types of shifts that have occurred in the industry and what major shifts can be expected in the future.